The aims of the LIFE MedWetRivers project are:
1. To contribute to the achievement of the objectives set in the Habitats Directive (92/43/EEC) and the Directive 2009/147/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 30th November 2009 on the conservation of wild birds; guaranteeing the maintenance or recovery of a favourable state of conservation of habitats and species of Communitarian importance linked to the water sources in the Mediterranean biogeographic region, as well as to improve the ecological coherence within the Natura 2000 network by means of the establishment of a management programme for the River and Wetland SCI/SPAs in Castilla y León and a monitoring programme for supervising these species and habitats.
2. To provide a management and monitoring model for water-dependent habitats to other regional governments in Spain and in the whole Mediterranean biogeographic region.
3. To guarantee the involvement of every stakeholder in implementing the Natura 2000 network at regional level.
4. To contribute to the integration of the Natura 2000 network in various related sectors that are relevant the River and Wetland SCI/SPAs in Castilla y León, as well as to coordinate the Natura 2000 network planning with the regional implementation of the Habitats and Birds directives with the Water Framework Directive and the European Strategy on biodiversity.
5. To improve public awareness of the Natura 2000 network and to implement the value of the Mediterranean ecosystems.